Thursday 10 June 2010

The magic must still be there.

Adams Mill

Once again this great fishery is available to the many. A fishery which I believe ranks along with the Royalty and Redmire as a must to visit, if only just the once, to soak up the atmosphere of the place.
My visits there as an MKAA book holder were for only the two winters before the water was syndicated.
Only about 5 miles from my then home, but I never fished the stretch before that time because of the stories I heard about joining the early morning scramble to get onto the fishery.
http://www.fishingmagic.com/features/diaries/10653.html

I fished the river around Stony Stratford,Haversham and Bradwell, but only for the chub and occasional good perch.
At that time barbel was the accidental 8lb7oz I caught at Throop in the early 70's.
My times there were the winters of 2001 and 2002, more often than not, despite the stories, I had the fishery to myself, well almost, the two black Labradors were always about, but seldom were there more than two other anglers in attendance.
The place was electrifying and the anticipation of what lurked below was edge of seat stuff.
I just do not accept that you only fish a place for it's record fish potential, there were and I'm sure still are, very good fish to be had, not specificly barbel.The membership lost out,without doubt.
I shall be back, at £34 a year for the MKAA ticket it's a must,despite what is now a 5 hour round trip.
http://www.mkaa.co.uk/341_adam.htm

4 comments:

  1. Hi Fred,

    Adams Mill, the stories that could be told!

    Ray Clarke makes some good points over on FM, I didn't know Ray but I knew Chris King who was a Potters Bar member with Ray.
    Chris got a few of us into the PB club and I enjoyed my time there.
    It was/is a must visit, if only once, place.

    I managed to become embroiled in all sorts of controversy but I stand by just about every word I said at the time.

    I'm glad that I didn't get totally hooked on the place because it could wreck your fishing because there was something distinctly unreal about the place. The day I saw Graham King catch six doubles including a couple of fourteens sticks in my mind because it left me cold. Strange when you are witnessing what would be the catch of a lifetime to 99.9 percent but it was all too soulless for me.

    It has an indelible place in barbel history though without any shadow of doubt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Steve there's a subject for your Blog.

    Stories that can now be told :O)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Fred,

    Steve is right we didn't know each other at the time. Chris came to me as I was Vice and then Chairman of the club.

    i signed the forms along with Chris so they could become members. I have seen Steve only a handful of times over the years.

    A nice guy, and someone I have got time for. I remember all the stories about Adams Mill, and Steve along with a few others and myself, were right in what we said about the place.

    Still times move on, Adams mill has a special place in my life, not just for the fishing, my eldest brother was killed in a car crash going to Adams Mill, and it was the first River i fished as a kid with my brothers.

    Couple of days to go to the start, but i will wait 2 or 3 weeks before I hit the rivers. The fish never seem to know it's the 16th june.

    Regards

    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  4. My guess is Ray, no matter what anybody say's about the goings on at that time, there will always be the one or two who won't accept it!

    I will be out on the 16th, but not on a river.

    ReplyDelete