Saturday 26 June 2010

Back to the real world

He'll be alright

I've just had delivered a hand made thank you card, entirely unexpected, but shows me there are still parents out there guiding their kids in the right direction. It's from Eliot who is very proud to admit to being 5!



The reason for the card?
Well in November 1934 my dad was given a 13th birthday present of a third size snooker table,about 8'x4',solidly built with a slate bottom, weighed a ton.
That same table was played on regularly by my 3 brothers and me usually on a Sunday, no television during the day then, and radio after the Navy Lark, Jimmy Clithero, or was it Archie Andrews, was mainly religious stuff or, classical music I think? 
Anyway, after the seven of us finished Sunday roast we took the table cloth off, and lifted the snooker table onto the G Plan dining table, making sure we put down four beermats to protect the surface.
It was played on from probably 1950 something, until my youngest brother got fed up just playing with my dad, sometime in the mid 1970's.
It still had the original cues, and balls, although they were a bit faded, the baize and pockets were renewed at least once.
It had been sitting behind my mum's sideboard since that time gathering dust.
I brought it home with me not too long ago and I offered it to local clubs, free of charge, just come and pick it up.
Nobody wanted the put in the effort to collect it!
So it sat gathering dust once again, in my spare bedroom, waiting for me to make up my mind if I wanted to put it on eBay.

I've known Eliot's dad since he moved up to this part of the world to set himself up with a fishery and B&B just about 6 years ago. His mum and dad are our next door neighbours.
He's got a big room for his guests to have breakfast, so I asked him if he would like the table and maybe have it for his guests.
To cut a long story short he said yes, but for Eliot and his younger son Ethan when he gets older.
 That's where the card comes in, I'm real chuffed the table is starting life again.
 I'm sure my dad is too!

No comments:

Post a Comment