Wednesday 31 August 2011

Hexed!!

Fishing


Well that put the kibosh on it, didn't it ?
The daft look of a pb triumph!!
A long journey taking me four hours before I wet my line, half expecting to up my pb on a river stretch noted for a run of good fish, and even hinting at it in my last blog, put me down for a 12 hour blanking session!!
I wasn't the only one blanking mind you, but there you go, no excuses.
I'll just have to wait a couple of weeks for another go.
Stopped for B&B at mum's place to help shorten what was already a very long day.
In the meantime maybe an evening trip to the middle Trent is needed. Tomorrow sounds good.


Is this a Water rail?


Accompanying me for part of my 12 hour stint was this little bird.
I've never seen one before, but I think it is a water rail. Too much of a beak for a moorhen ? Olive coloured feet, but the rest of the colouring doesn't look quite right from my books, so it could be in moult, or a juvenile.
Or....a juvenile moorhen!
Any views?








Daft Joke
An American fighter plane was flying over Afghanistan when the pilot noticed a flying carpet on each side of his plane, both armed with a machine gunner on board. 
Sensing danger he shot them down.
Back at base he got a right bollocking. 



Apparently they were Allied Carpets.


There are more but I keep them for my next blank.




Nothing like  a water rail!!!
A proper one


2 comments:

  1. Fred it's not a rail , they have red beaks, it's a juvenile moorhen. Take a look at the second picture on the RSPB page for moorhen.

    I see a rail almost every time I fish a certain spot on the Sowe in winter. Furtive and moody is what they are. It grumbles about my presence. It's the only one I have ever seen though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jeff, the more I looked at it the more I talked myself out of it. It even has olive coloured legs which are classic moorhen.

    Even the close proximity to me feeding off my casters, gave me the nagging doubts, as they are well known for being furtive.
    Ah well, can't tick that one off my list, just keep my eyes peeled.

    ReplyDelete