Tuesday 2 August 2011

Had a dabble!

Fishing


Thought I would have a few hours on the middle Trent, it is very low and clear!
Left home at about 4pm
Started fishing close at to 6pm with plenty of hemp and casters and decided to use my cane rod acquired a year or so ago, but not used in anger.
Matched it with my Rolling Pin and found myself a swim with a bramble hedge down to the water edge and running down stream from the peg for about 20 feet.
Looked spot on, but shallow, baited up with all the hemp and caster and waited.

Lots of knocks from chublets and hooked a good sized perch. I had decided to have a go with lobworm
At about 8o'clock ,by this time touch ledgering with the worm I had my first real tug and struck into the fish. It jigged jagged across river and then left the water entirely in it's  mad haste to escape.
A nice barbel of about 5lb.
That's only happened to me once before, at Adams Mill just under the weir sill, when a similar sized fish did the same thing but shook the hook!

A short while later another good take, this time a short stubborn fight by a chub of about 4lb.

Then all went dead. I fished on until the sun just edged below the horizon and decided that that was probably it for the evening, and as we have to be off this water at dusk and two sets of padlocks to negotiate, I decided to leave for home about an hour and a half away.
Thought I would write this whilst supping a pint of Pedigree, now ready for the next one.
Rod & reel Christened
Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment