Friday 5 August 2011

Early doors

Lunch Session


Off to Ross on Wye  tomorrow at sparra's fart to spend the weekend on the Wye Lea fishery with a group from an angling website. Will report after.

Anyway, as a result of needing to get up at around 4am tomorrow, I decided to have a Friday beer session in the White Hart, our village real ale pub, at lunchtime.
No wanting to be driving for 3 hours plus under the influence of course.
What should I come across but an ale I have been  expecting, as Mick the landlord, lists his forthcoming brews.
I have to say that the Wold Top Brewery are very consistent with their ales, and I always look out for them. Anyway, if they are not on, I run along the 4 choices on offer to find the one that suits.
Sometimes, if one of the four goes "off" during my taste adventure, I have to try five, although once it did reach six, before settling for the favoured flavour!!

The one I was expecting was Anglers Reward, and it is exactly as it states on the brewers blurb.
A fine quafable ale and at £2:50 a pint
 I had a few pints, and thought that as I enjoyed them so much, that I would let my Blog friends have a hint of what to look for if they have decent real ale establishment close by, or are in the surrounding areas of Driffield Yorkshire. http://www.woldtopbrewery.co.uk/





Anglers Reward - August

One of our Winter Beers. The ultimate catch, a refreshing golden pale ale with a fruity bitterness & lingering aftertaste. Certainly a beer to help create those "one that got away" stories! 

Brewed with Wold grown malts and hopped with the fruity Cascade and Goldings hops.

*Please note, Angler's Reward is only available April to October.
It should be noted that Wold Top do sell their beers by the bottle 


The Wine Taster (Whilst on the subject)



At a wine merchant's, the regular taster died and the boss started looking for a new one to hire.

A drunkard with a ragged, dirty look came to apply for the position.
The boss of the warehouse wondered how to send him away.
 So he gave him a glass of wine to drink.
He tried it and said, "It's a muscat, three years old, grown on a north
 slope, matured in large old barrels. Low grade but acceptable."
  "That's correct", said the boss.
Another glass....
"It's a cabernet, eight years old, a south-western slope, new oak barrels,
matured at 8 degrees. Requires three more years for finest results".
"Correct."
 A third glass...
''It's a non-vintage pinot champagne, high grade and exclusive'' calmly said the drunk.
The boss was astonished. He winked at his secretary to suggest something.
She left the room and came back in with a glass of urine.
The alcoholic tried it.
"It's a blonde, 26 years old, three months pregnant and if you don't give me
the job, I'll name the father."


No comments:

Post a Comment