Wednesday 24 November 2010

Fishing

Contemplation

Yesterday morning up at 7 with a cup of tea , trying to coax myself into going for  a trip down to the Trent.
9 am I got the call from Mick about Denise, although she had been unwell for some years now, it was still a big shock.
Started me off on the memory trail of friends, a lot of them far to young to be dying, and many of them in the last 7 or 8 years, co-incidence or not, since my early retirement.So most of them about my age.
I purposely aimed at retiring, mainly because I had enough of earning the commercial property big buck for some other bugger. Always been a doer rather than a creator I suppose.
Anyway, this is enabled us to do lots of world travelling that many don't get the opportunity to do, and not worry about where the next penny comes from.
In other words, we do what we want when we want.
So to those that read what I have to say on this Blog, take heed, go and do what you really want to do while you can, you never know what may be around that next corner.

Oh yes Fishing!
10am still deep in my thoughts "what time you coming home from fishing" says The Boss.
"I don't even know what time I'm going or, where I'm going" say I, "anyway my hemp seed may still be frozen in the garage. It's a bit bright"
Looking for excuses not to go?

I made up my mind, a fling at the Trent to see if I can get a barbel out in November. Thermals on, big coat to hand, Kelly Kettle and makings in the boot.
Off I go 11am.
Half hour later on the Lincoln ring road still don't know what to do, go for the tidal at Sutton or South Clifton, or go and poach Hazelford, just for the crack, or settle for Lady Pit.
Close approaching Newark make your mind up time, "sod it Lady Pit" then I say to myself "what if the slope up is sopping wet, is the road good enough, will I be able to get out of the place".
I know the Octavia is not the best at handling slippery slopes, I remember when I first got the motor, frightening the life out of Hugh Middleton as I attempted to get the motor back up the flood bank at Sutton.
He was, I'm sure expecting me to slide down into him and then the river!!
Mind made up, still Lady Pit.
4pm, four hours all alone with my thoughts, not a bite to show for the hard work of making my mind up,  although a little maudlin, pleased that I did make my mind up to venture to the riverside.
Now the slippery slope....a bit of slippy slidey but up we go, "dodge the potholes, don't want another hole in the sump", and arrive at the gate, now closed after being open all day to let the big trucks in, to pick their load of sugar beet.
"Sod it what's the combination number, where's my card"
Just over the hour later, home to faggotts, mash and peas.

Must go and empty the car, at least the hemp seed will still be frozen, hope my lob worms aren't!!

Winter Fuel Allowance
Filled up the heating oil tank last week, checked out the bank account this morning to see if the transfer to the account had occurred, it had, and also a £250 credit today from the DWP, thank you.
I forgot all about that.

Joke for today
An American tourist asks an Irishman
 "Why  do Scuba divers always fall backwards off their boats?"
To which the Irishman replies
"If they fell forwards, they'd still be in the bloody boat ."

My latest visitor
From Taiwan, I just wonder what could be interesting to an ol' China.
I don't think it's my Blog or, anybody else's who count the numbers visiting theirs ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment