Sunday 12 September 2010

Red Letter day

A bit about fishing

I was reminded today, following an exchange of PM correspondence on Fishing Magic of a memorable, probably best short session I have ever had.

My day had been taken up by a meeting with the rest of the Barbel Society committee in Worcester.
My Log note dated 17th August 2008 states;
A tough meeting at Callow End.
 I remember it well, Callow End was a retreat run by nuns, we rented a room for meetings.
We damaged the peace and tranquility for a short while that day!
My tackle was in the car to fish the Severn, but we needed to get away from the place.

On the way home I dropped in on the middle Trent arriving at about 7:30pm, the river was up and running clear and it was warm and cloudy, a bit showery. The water temperature 18.6c.
It was the evening after the full moon and air pressure during  the short session was about 1014 hph and rising.
I keep a note of air pressure and moon phases, but have never put them to any scientific use, well not yet!
I decided to fish the big chunk of meat down the inside rather than pellets and set myself up with my Young's Barbel Travel rod, my  Purist ll, 12lb Krystonite straight through to a size 4 barbless raptor...no weight.
My method for the big meat is to cast out into the current and let my quarter a tin of garlic spam drift round to fish the inside line, about 15/ 20 feet down stream.













Daft grin!!



15 minutes later my first barbel 10lb 11 ozs, still my pb.
I then proceeded to to hook and land 4 more barbel of 9lb 4ozs, 8lb 1oz, 9lb 2ozs and a 9lb fish the last two caught on my last quarter halved.
Left well and truly chuffed at 11:30pm for my hour journey home singing all the way.
So, four hours and 41lb2ozs of barbel all of which were caught in the first 90 minutes.

I have to say the 5 piece travel rod action is superb, and matched up with my centre pin it was my first attempt at catching barbel with the aid of the rod and a 'pin.
Certainly a red letter day for me, although a long day, having left home for Worcester at 6am.

No comments:

Post a Comment