Saturday 21 November 2015

Remembering


Last year

But specifically because of the recent atrocities in France, I thought it was apt to show this.

The French Government last year awarded my Uncle Reg, now in his 90's, with this medal. 

He is now  a Knight of the Legion of Honour for his part in the Liberation of France in World War Two. 


This month

A lovely warm and generous lady, June Evelyn Coleman my next door neighbour from our arrival in this village, passed away on the 4th November at the age of 83, after nearly six years of a nasty and painful debilitating illness.
She will be very much missed by my sometime fishing companions husband Ray and son Rik.

Rest in Peace June.

This week

My Dad would have been 94 on the 17th, so I had a drink to celebrate his life also.

On Thursday, a trip down to the Big Smoke to meet up with some true old friends from my days at International Stores in Mitre Square 1965-1973.
We met at The Oyster Shed on the north bank of the Thames,just along from London Bridge
A location I booked and organised.
Part of a very modern building, but comfortable and they had proper beer, some very good 
food,  and we were well looked after, much to my relief!

A fairly long session for the two old boys John(The Boss) and Jon, 
who is now somewhat  of an  invalid following a stroke some years ago.
They only meet up with us at "Christmas".
Not all of us were part of the infamous  International Drinking Society, they are both now well into their 80's.
Anyway, we met at Noon and they both left at 4:30, but many memories, good times, and former colleagues, some long gone,  were discussed and laughed about.

The afternoon moved into evening before the remaining few  moved onto another bar for our final farewells...until the next time, and my birthday in March.

Fishing

Not been out since the Dane trip, but the rivers are now with water, so maybe this week I'll fit something in after my holiday typhoid and yellow fever inoculations are out of the way.





No comments:

Post a Comment