Sunday 15 June 2014

Tomorrow it all starts again!



A mist in the valley


One trip out in the week to lake number 2 in the valley.

A very misty late Monday afternoon session, all very quiet and almost spookey. 
I hoped to continue with my exploration of this lake primarily to seek out what dwells within
On the last visit toward dark I had seen some quite good fish porpoising but was unable to identify them in the gloom. They didn't appear to be commons, but may have been bream or crucians.
With that in mind I groundbaited with sweetcorn and chopped worm.
As it turned out no real showing of fish this night, no expected commons at all, just a few roach, rudd and some little skimmers.
I stayed until I couldn't see my float, and watched as the geese(greylag and canada) came out of the field and into the lake with their noisy approach and continuous plops as the many youngsters dropped of the opposite bank.They've had a very good year

I'll be down the the sound of the dawn chorus tomorrow morning to " celebrate" the 16th like I used to many years ago in my younger days when tench fishing. 
Any tench in the lake? 
I don't know but will try and find out.

The IDS
Another trip down to London with the ol' boys, this time to Islington for Ivan's 69th!
We couldn't understand why he had picked this pub, it's in a residential area , but he told us, he couldn't think what to do, but seemed to remember we'd crawled Islington in years gone by. 
In the majority we didn't agree, but accepted that sometimes we just didn't know where we had been!Crown
Anyway. noon found us at The Crown, a Fullers pub where the landlord thought he was doing us a favour with a pint and a sandwich on "special offer" for £10!
Well, we sat outside drinking our five pints eachof London Pride at something in excess of £4 a pint served by a South American young lady in something like a pair of frilly knickers. That didn't stop me insisting that at four quid plus a pint, she should at least fill the glass to the pint mark!. I'm not tight, you must understand this, but when I can get a better pint at £2.70 it does make me wince, just a tad!
We decided on elsewhere for food, and Ivan chose "something different", as he was paying, we had no choice.
It was a climb up to the second floor to a fairly basic cafe around the back of The Angel station,  the food was pretty good from a short chalk board menu. I had a veggie Thai curry and a good share of two bottles of Merlot!
We then moved on again to what is a Nicholsons pub, The York, in the High Street where we had more red wine and London Pride and...more food, bangers and mash, before calling it a day....and it was still light!
For the first time in a long time I felt unsteady on my feet, but put it down to the stitching on my sandals(which I'm told are now in fashion) coming undone and loosing the support they gave for my size 12 's feet.
Anyway, back to Ivan's for B&B and some healing coffee in his back garden edged by Epping Forest, to bird and fox watch.
I think I had a fairly early night, but was up at sixish feeling pretty good and ready for our Turkish Full English at 7am. 
Home by 11 after a straight forward three hour journey from the bottom of the M11, looking forward to my next trip down in mid August..





No comments:

Post a Comment