Tuesday 4 March 2014

Last cast...again

River personal best.

Well, right on one point, it was the last cast as the sun went behind the houses, but a I had another one, whilst I was taking the photo of my new pb for the Upper Witham.
I arrived at around 12:30 to find the river quite coloured, but at normal level, so I put myself in the swim just below the footbridge.
I think I stayed in the swim for about an hour, I say think, I don't wear a watch and left my mobile somewhere in the house!
Add caption
Fished with flake,Stilton and dendrobena, no real takes but as the day wore on after a couple more moves, I found when specifically fishing with the worm that the nibbles I was getting were roach, a size 6 didn't give me much chance of hitting them. I hooked one greedy bugger though!
So I put on a size 14 and fished for the bites on worm and flake picking up a few roach all about the same size.
For the last hour I switched back to the big hook and the Stilton and sat back, watched the world go by, and listened to the birds, the noisiest of which, apart from the rooks, was a green woodpecker laughing somewhere over my shoulder.

So it was just about the witching hour when I spotted some debris moving through the swim.
I thought, "that'll miss", but my tip pulled round and just kept going.
Fortunately it wasn't the debris but a sprightly and angry chub!
 I said to myself "that's an effing big fish Fred" as it came to the net!
 Just a tad disappointed by what the scales said, but chuffed none the less





All 5lb8ozs of muscle.



 Back to the car pretty happy, but wondering if a couple of hours into dark may have been a better call.

Tomorrow, I shall be on the Trent, but will probably make a day of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment