Friday 14 March 2014

Blankety blank blank

End of season rush

So the much heralded river Close Season is upon us with the usual moans and groans about how it has no relevance to modern day angling.
I grew up with the Close Season in it's original form and have to say, I was quite happy to await in anticipation the dawn of June16th for my gravel pit tench fishing.
As it stands, I'm quite happy with it to stay on the rivers, I'm also quite happy that if I choose to, I can fish the stillwaters.
It's no real problem that I can't get to the river, it can wait.

Which brings me to this week, I thought it may be a good idea to see if I could catch myself an end of season barbel, and perhaps even a Trent chub of some size
So I had three sessions at Lady Pitt Farm of  five hours, four hours and two hours, all into darkness, on what I thought was a river in tip top condition.
The river was dropping, all be it slowly and still steaming through,  and it held it's colour over all three sessions.




"the barbel live under that tree"


The end result was not a single bite, not on the two rods one fishing up, the other down stream, and not on the cane rod on the later two outings, fishing mostly down stream into an area that was said to be a holding place for barbel.
I wasn't too disappointed with the trips, because on each day I had a chance for long chats with two bailiffs, and a guy who fished there, when he could, but lived in Woodbridge Suffolk!!
And I think an hour's drive is too much!

On the last day, today, I made up my mind that I would fish the upper Witham all day
Although I got all prepared, changed all my tackle over for an entirely different river and even liquidised a loaf of bread, I just couldn't get up the enthusiasm to make the one hour trip.
A bone idle day ensued, well we had a joint effort at making the contents of a fish pie, but having had a kipper for breakfast we decided not to have two lots of fish in the day. We covered it up, and put it in the fridge for tomorrow after the rugby.
.
As I'm not certain when my next trip is, it occurred much later to me, that the quarter used tin of garlic spam and the stilton cheese, along with bread flake and the liquidised bread would be better off not being forgotten and left to mature in my bag. 
It's all now it in the freezer, and may well stay there until next season.
Whilst ferreting in the freezer and making room, I found a half used packet of prawns, and having still got some dendrobena I thought that perhaps on Monday I would pop down the farmers ponds. 
Who knows, if I can be arsed, there may be a sister or two of my 3lb perch loitering about.... down in the valley.

A good few hours later with the breakfast kipper telling me it was looking for some company, I went out and got some haddock and chips for us both!

Damsels in Distress

Clicky  vvv
What a lucky day!



No comments:

Post a Comment