Sunday 29 December 2013

Other matters

Value the people who love, respect and trust you the most, and forget about the negative and toxic people who don’t deserve you.  Robert Tew


I'm sorry to say my family has been hit again by the dreaded cancer, my sister in law, the partner of my youngest brother Peter has 2nd degree cancer of the stomach lining. This follows an operation some months ago to remove all her "lady bits". 
They thought they had got it all..... but it's back!
I shall be back in Essex for a few days in the New Year, to see if and how I can assist.



The Lost Diary
Before I start I should say that I have every respect of Chris Yates and his writing.
His last books How to fish and Nightwalk actually made me think about reading more of his work..
I've picked up a couple more lately, Falling in again, River Dairies and The Deepening Pool.
I decided not to start reading River Diaries until I had read The Lost Diary,which I ordered back in April. Perhaps I should have got hold of Four Seasons and read that first? 
Because my view of this latest offering, from start to finish was....... I could do that!
I expected far more, instead all I read was a lightweight lift direct from a diary without embellishments.
So as soon as I made room for it on my bookshelf, I picked up River Dairies for a comparison.
I'm still reading it, but straight away it seemed a better read, there is substance in the writing which I can only put down to Mr Yates actually putting more life into his bank side jottings, rather than what I perceive to be, a straight lift from his lost diary. So there you go Monty, I agree with your view.
A personal view of course, which may upset a few of Mr Yates avid followers, but that's how I see his latest offering I'm afraid, just a bit of an half hearted effort!
It would be interesting, before I splash out, to hear how readers compare the style of writing of Four Seasons to River Dairies.

Down under
Stingray on, my second brother Ted beach fishing off Exmouth W.A, decides that a cut off is the better part of valour!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpkIosqB23E


Have a happy, healthy 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment