Thursday 18 July 2013

Otter kill!

Tongue firmly in cheek.

Well they seem to get the blame for everything, so when I saw this my immediate thought was bloody otters.
I was sitting on the patio and heard the urgent alarm call of a blackbird, looked up see if there was a predator about, and put it down to a passing cat upsetting the bird that is feeding youngsters.
Later on a wandered around the side of the house to our last remaining of three water butts with water in, and found this.
Our pair of wood pigeon usually sit on the apex of our roof cooing and cavorting, this was just below that area.

Half of our pair of woodies

















You will see it's head is missing and all it's internal organs, but then I thought an otter wouldn't pluck it's prey first, so I put it down to our female sparrowhawk!
I mentioned to Pauline the fact that I had found the dead pigeon and where I found it, and she said she thought she saw a sparrowhawk flash past out of the corner of her eye and down under our front room window. 
She thought nothing more of it, because it was too fast and would probably be long gone.
It was outside again just now on patrol, I was once again warned of it's presence by the blackbird.

No comments:

Post a Comment