Friday 12 July 2013

Fly fishing!



New acquisition

I've never owned a fly rod, but I've now acquired a Constable of Bromley Wallop Brook 6'9" and an Intrepid Dragonfly lightweight 60, along with a selection of other gear including a creel, and a good number of flies.
It appears to be quite a well balanced outfit, and the knack of casting, despite at least 15 years since the last time I shared a rod on a few trips to the Test, is still there after a short session in the back garden.
I may well take it down to the farm reservoir for a better practice, and to see if I can tempt whatever is taking fly off the surface down there in the twilight. Just need to get some floatant!
Perhaps a stray trout, or maybe a good rudd.
Anyway, it will prove to be I'm sure, good practice for a chub session on the Upper Witham, and who knows what that may lead to in the future..


































Today in the garden

Fresh blossom on our victoria plum tree
The first butterfly, a little brown jobby that didn't stay long enough for identification,
 and this!



According to my Readers Digest Field Guide to the Butterflies and other insects of Britain, it's a male Broad-bodied libellula (Libellula depressa). It has a 3" wingspan and it's length is 13/4".
I think I've seen this one just once before, and in the same place around my pond!

2 comments:

  1. The rod looks good to me Fred.A fair few years back now,I met a guy fly fishing on the Avon at Hale Park.Nice guy and we had a chat.I mentioned I had never fly fished and his words I can still hear"Young man once you cast a fly you will not want to go back to normal coarse fishing"

    Sounds like a slippery slope to me ;-0

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell you what Monty the guy down at Brobury House, my only river trip this season, said much the same to me.
    After slipping up and down the Wye banks, with what seemed like half a ton of bait and tackle, I'm beginning to see the benefits!!

    ReplyDelete