Monday 4 February 2013

Half cocked!

Fishing...nearly!

I decided to have a few hours on the Upper Witham, but in my rush to get out, left my Fox barbel special in the garage and only had my B&W compound taper Mark IV ready made up in the holdall with my Purist II, didn't find that out until I arrived at 1pm and sat myself down!
I like the Fox rod, it's very versatile and with the quiver tip section proved to be the right rod for the river when I last used it down there.
Anyway I was there, and wasn't going for the one hour drive back.

The river was running through at quite a pace, and the colour was good but it was dropping out.
What surprised me was that the pathway and banks were not as wet as expected, no doubt due to the biting drying winds over the last few days.

I decided to fish with a big bait to see if the chub would have a go at my stilton or bread flake.
I had a good bag of hempseed, some liquidized bread and a batch of dead maggots, which didn't look their best. I mixed them with the hempseed and fed regularly with the occasional ball of liquidised bread.

Sat back watched the world go by, counted the mallards,has anybody else noted that the drakes far outnumber the ducks this year ? They are mating and were squabbling all afternoon.
At one point they were disturbed by a male sparrowhawk, he swept down amongst them whilst they were all resting on the opposite bank, frightening them all back into the river. I don't think sparrowhawk take ducks, perhaps he overshot some smaller bird!



Also spotted a pair of dabchick at some distance, they wouldn't come closer,  it appears with the benefit of a long shot, they are getting their summer plumage.










As can be guessed, I didn't latch on to any chub, in fact there wasn't a sign of any fish.
So I left at 5 o'clock with a cold wind that had been biting at me all afternoon, whipping up strong again, and kicked myself all the way to the car.
Next time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment