Thursday 21 February 2013

Just another day by the river

Fishing
Decided to have another trip down to the Upper Witham to get a few hours chubbing in this afternoon.
River had gone down quite a bit and the colour had drained out in the straights, but still had a bit off the bends where the current was stirring up the sediment.

I had made up my mind to roam, and started up at the weir, having fished for about half an hour with no bites so I moved a touch down stream.
Almost immediately I hooked and lost a fish, so cast back in and got myself a chub of 4lb on the nose

Staying about an hour in that swim, but with no further action, so I decided to move again, but, still no fish even after moving and trying  two further swims.
So I decided to move to below the footbridge, into the area of a much pollarded willow and. got a take straight away and lost another fish!!
That's two fish lost, I must just be nicking them in the lips as they pull back, these are not snatch bites, just a gentle knock as the weight lifts, then a slight snatch followed by a pull.


Straight back in again and once again almost at once I hooked and landed another chub.Just a little bigger at 4lb4ozs.
The fish had a bit of a dig just in front of it's dorsal fin, not certain what could have done that, I'll have a closer look at the photo later.
Both fish were caught on the Stilton, and all my bites were on the same bait, bread failing to get much more than a knock. I'm pretty certain they are roach, but with a size 6, my guess is with many of the roach being of no more than a few ounces, they are not getting to the hook.
I hung around a bit longer and got one more take which I didn't connect with.
At around 4o'clock I moved again,this time to my last swim of the day, and to where I caught my 5lb3oz fish on Monday.
Not in luck today though for a recapture...maybe I need to leave the camera at home!
So, all in all not a bad day.
A bit of a downstream chill wind, mostly overcast with the occasional spot of hail.
Quite pleasant alround, with the occasional dog walker, and a young lady horse rider, all of whom spent a short while to pass the time for a chat.The dogs here seem to be better trained than those I meet sitting down at Sutton on Trent though. No snaffling through the bags or bait.
Our baliff Mick turned up late in the afternoon with his pike gear, and headed off down stream.
He returned later without making any contact with his lures.
We chatted for a while about the river and it's fish and their known sizes, before I packed up for home at about 5o'clock.
Next time I shall take my trotting gear and concentrate on the float and maybe the roach.Maybe even a bit of stret pegging on the inside deeps.

Arrived home with the 'addock and chips at about 6:30, it's 8o'clock and we're  off down the White Hart for the fortnightly quiz night and my run along the line of four real ales.



Another holiday!

I've just booked a week away in France beside the river Charante.
If anybody has fished it I would be interested to hear from you..not just barbel!!


Investment
Something for the pension pot.

My deluxe copy of Night Walk by Chris Yates arrived safely in yesterday's post.
A real shame a chance to meet the man and get it signed personally in Salisbury clashed with another function nearer home.

I've read the original release, which is still available, it really is a nice read.
This copy is going on the bookshelf for that rainy day, or until I get a pair of plastic gloves!







No comments:

Post a Comment