Wednesday 21 November 2012

Just another day.

Fishing

I've been waiting in all morning watching it raining heavily and it still is, so I thought and have just decided to venture out to the car. I still had all my soaking wet gear in the car from yesterday's session at Sutton on Trent.
It wasn't a very nice day generally with strong downstream winds, gusting at times and as darkness approached the fine drizzle, that had been about on the wind on and off all day, became something more.
Rob and I sat it out into darkness for a couple of hours before the dash to put everything in our respective vehicles before we got even wetter.
The Barbel Society stretch at Sutton, for those who don't know, is situated beside a marsh and vehicle access over that marsh in  very wet conditions can lead to vehicles trapped, at times up to their axles. Poor driving being the main problem!!
I tend not to venture on there on those occasions and fish a more accessible part of the fishery, or just walk the bank.
So, on arrival after unlocking the gate, I could see that Rob had parked on the marsh side of the flood bank.
 I 'phoned him and asked for his verdict on the marsh's suitability to drive over. "It's ok, just be a bit careful", so I drove over, slipped and slid a little bit as I manoeuvred away from the obvious swampy looking bits and arrived ok. About half way along the mile and a half of bank that forms the fishery.
Anyway back to the fishing, I decided not to go for the zander, this location on the fishery needs a bit of a chuck, to get into the boat channel and after a couple of attempts with my limited zander gear and a few free gifts of sprat to the river gods, I decided to stick to a two rod approach to what may be feeding.

The only boat all day
The result one chub a bit over two pounds on lobworm.
Rob faired better a few yards downstream of me,  four or five chub, a bream and a barbel of about 8lb, mostly on his home made boilies, and a few of the earlier fish on maggot.
Still bright 23 hours later!
I gave him a bit of a start on my last cast of the day, when one of the clip on starlights came off and floated off downstream, bobbing "on and off" in the waves, he thought it was an eye he saw,  not of  the otter though!
After packing up we were both very wary of the trip back across the marsh in the pitch black, dodging the dips in the dark is not as easy, anyway we got off ok with Rob having just a little loss of traction and a re-manoeuvre to get over the rise onto the track.
We decided to go in the Lord Nelson, not that we needed an excuse, but traffic isn't light on the A1 at 6pm. So we had a couple of pints each of Grafter's fine ale, wished each other safe journeys, and headed off in different directions.

The Car

On the way home, I noticed a rubbing noise coming from the drivers side particularly as I took the roundabouts, so needing a pee, I found a quiet country lane and headed down there.
On my three point turn to get out of the lane there was a crunch on my bumper and something fell into  the dark road I hoped it wasn't the bumper, it wasn't but it had come away, just a little bit!
To my untrained eye,laying on the road was the sump protector, the same one that didn't protect my sump over a year ago when I holed it crossing an unseen rocky ridge on a Scunthorpe Pisces water and which was cobbled together to attach it to the frame. I must have hit one of those dips on the marsh on the way back a bit hard.
Methinks a new one is needed.


More fishing related stuff



Having already three centrepin reels in my ownership, a Ray Walton Rolling Pin, a Purist II and a Heritage, I succumbed for some unknown reason to this a Rapidex. 
Ah well, I wonder what I should do with it!!

Talking of ebay

I have offered to sell for an old friend all of his fishing tackle, he is unable to continue fishing because of severe arthritis in his hands.
The gear covers all aspects of angling, some good rods I'm told, including a cane fly rod and some Hardy's, At the moment I've started with a few of his reels as a tester for him, keep an eye out if interested.
Here's just one, you can find the rest easily enough     Item number       181027187162


1 comment: