Thursday 9 August 2012

Another one!

New lake

Although I haven't really fathomed the depths of the lake in the valley, I've been introduced to another.
I got a call from the farmer asking if I wanted to fish another lake(is pigs arse pork?)
So I said yes please,so he gave me directions and said meet my farmer mate "here"

8pm
Arriving at 8pm  I was introduced to my new lake. It looks to be about 100 yards long by 50 wide, so about the size of a football pitch.


The lake is a "reservoir" dug out by the farmer about ten years ago, it has two islands about half way down and around the centre of the lake.
It has been stocked with carp,tench, roach,  rudd ,bream & crucian and has been fished,although only occasionally.
The place is again in a valley and spring fed not too many miles away loads of geese, both Canada and greylag,all appear to have large broods as do the mallard and coots. The only other bird life I can hear are woodies, with the occasional unrecognisable call,so my binoculars will be part of my kit. I could have sworn I heard quail too!!
No rods with me but I decided if I woke up early I would pop down at dawn for a couple of hours.

That is what I did.
I woke up about 5:15 this morning and found it a cracking looking morning. Said see you about 8o'clock to Pauline, had a quick swig of orange juice, tackle in the motor and off down the road for a couple of hours.
Reached the lane down to the lake, and followed three hares down the track, them weaving from side to side for some distance before they left one by one into the wheat fields on both sides of the track.

Arriving at the lake I disturbed a good few geese and chose the swim at this end of the fishery.
6am (BGE)

I tackled up my 14 foot Shimano Match rod with a 1000size reel filled with Maxima 4lb bs, decided on a size 12 Pallatrax barbless and thought that a couple of handfuls of dead maggot that I remembered to get out of the freezer last night, would be a good starting point.About 4 feet deep here.
Two deaduns on the hook and straight away a small perch.

Plenty of roach and rudd later all small, I put on the Sonu Tiger hookers and was straight away into a small carp, another 3 of those and a hook pull from something a bit bigger!

All about this size

Snotty!

Is it safe?

I switched to plastic maggot which again put me in touch with the small rudd but then had a small skimmer. All the time the wheat field opposite was spilling out it's overnighters with geese and mallard families coming out into the warming air and the light, feeling somewhat safer no doubt from the dark night spent in the cover.

Time for breakfast
So two hours didn't tell me a great deal, I think I prefer the dusk anyway, so another visit, probably next week now, as we have a busy weekend,starting tonight with a pub quiz.

No comments:

Post a Comment