Friday 1 June 2012

They're back!

Tit bits


I cleaned out the nest box of the dead fledgling and nesting material and guess what, the pair are back building another nest, and I assume ready to produce another clutch.
Last year they didn't do that after the successful fledging of eight youngsters.
I looked it up in my reference books and there are no mentions of second clutches, so there must be some inbuilt instinct that  pushes them on to create a new generation. If at first.... .
Believe it or not I get quite excited about my little families in the garden.
Our blackbird pair has created a fourth nest after abandoning yet another, this time with four eggs for no obvious reason. I can only put it down to the bloody cats!
A noticeable increase in finches generally with good numbers of linnet  and goldfinch, the chaffinches have disappeared but I can still hear a male a few gardens down.
That bloody song thrush though, as soon as there is any sign of light he's off, with that same old song which is going on all day long.
Reading Chris Yates  Night Walk reminded me so much of those times
Not too many years ago I used him as an alarm, to get up and go down to the local farmers reservoir for a few hours before breakfast.
The inclination is just not there now, and his one pound and a bit crucians must have put on a bit of weight by now. Perhaps when this Show is out of the way, or the holiday, or..........!
A great read by the way, and a change from Mr Yates usual fishing  tales. He can put his thoughts and experiences over very well.Another book read and not put down until finished.

The field next door


Just before we left for our Brittany break, there was some activity in our cow parsley field.
A general clearing up of perimeters and the removal of old plastic bags of what I assume to be stable sweepings.
A couple of years ago a young couple rented the field for a while and kept two horses, which I think were ex racing stock. Anyway soon after the mare produced a foal, and very soon after that the "stable" building they erected disappeared. They had done a runner !
So going back to the activity, I got talking to the lady, a bit younger than us and they were going to put in sheep in the field for fattening. They were going to electro fence the perimeter and move the sheep on soon. I quickly put in my whole lamb order, which was accepted.
Anyway, just before we went away I heard that the brother of the new "shepherd", a guy I fished with from our old village pub team had died suddenly aged 42, from an arthritis related disease that affects the arteries.
I went to his funeral service yesterday, the village church had not seen so many folk for a long time.
Too many young acquaintance/friends are dying. I am glad I retired when I did, so much to do so little time.
No sign of the sheep yet and the cow parsley is now getting on for five feet high again!

Our neighbour


June from next door, I've mentioned her before, is out of hospital after 14 months, the last twelve of which have been in Nottingham.
She's very frail, twice a day visits from the community nurses to change her bandages, don't help especially when it's almost a new team every evening. No continuity in today's health service..
It's her 80th next Monday, lets hope we can find a way of brightening her up a bit.
Ray, her old man, he's just turned 82 himself a week or two ago, and has been brilliant. But it's taking its toll on him too, staying in the hospital hostel for most of that time has been quite a drag on him.

I  need to get him out to fish I think, and soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment