Friday 23 March 2012

New B&B


Another trip to the big smoke

Living out here in the sticks miles from anywhere has it's advantages, but one of the major disadvantages is the pure fact that without an overnight stay over, I have no way of meeting my old International Drinking Society pals in the big smoke.
Fortunately my old mate Ivan lives in Woodford Green and has come to my rescue and replace my taken for granted overnighter at Mum's place, the old family home.
So I drove down yesterday morning at about 7:30 to get to his place by 11am,to ensure we got to the city meeting place by noon.
Our meeting place this time was set by me for my birthday celebration, I chose the Counting House in Cornhill, mainly because it does Fuller's beers, but, they also have good pies. go to London Pride
Anyway, we arrived there at about 11:45 to be met by the eldest member of the ol'pals group Dave, he was well into his pint of London Pride,and had saved us a good sized table, so we followed suit.
I don't like sitting and drinking,but with a fine pie due later we needed to ensure our seating!
I have to say there were some peculiar looking fellas in modern City of London, there was a particularly large group of men, all of whom wore dark grey suits with short haircuts and all built like barraboys. Perhaps they are the "new breed" of City dealers, or maybe we were caught in a reunion of servicemen, they had the look of "security" types. One thing was noticeable they may have shaken hands and acknowledged each other,but never appeared to look into the eyes of the blokes they spoke to....shifty looking! Maybe coppers, or Mason's, or both!!
Anyway, we had a good few pints,and then thought it was about time to give ourselves some ballast for the afternoon. They are rather good pies.
We left I suppose, about 6 o'clock through the pub melee of City folk, said our farewells until June for Ivan's do, he's talking of Bruges, to Woodford Green for the rest of the evening on red wine, before collapsing into bed.
I awoke at 6 ish to the sound of the forest, Ivan's house backs onto a part of Epping Forest, I had a walk down his garden with a mug of tea and listened to the woodland bird-life, particularly the woodpeckers who are somewhat sparse up here on the lacking in woodland Wolds, before we headed of to the local cafe for a full English.
Fully replenished it was time for the off, and for my just over two and a half hour sober and quiet,drive back up the M11/A1 and rest until I start celebrating again tomorrow with The Boss!

No comments:

Post a Comment