Friday 24 February 2012

At last!

About time too




 I actually got myself out today for about 4 hours on the Trent at Lady Pit Farm.
Arrived about 12:30, 3 other guys fishing no sign of fish though, but it was a cracking day weather wise, so I thought we'll have a go and wandered up to the weirpool.
There was a fella fishing in the pool, he said it was "a crap day", but he'd had a chub of about 5lb early on.....not crap in my mind, but I think he meant the wind,it was coming straight downstream and where he was camped it was blowing a hoolie!!
At my age comfort came into mind, so I dropped down into the run off behind a crack willow.


It was well and truly cracked,  most of it was on the ground. It made a nice wind break though.
Anyway I fished with some bait sent to me for testing by an advertiser, not by me of course but one of the BS experts. So I thought I would take advantage of it, just in case there's a story to be had.
The just in case, was that I hoped I could get a quick review in Barbel Fisher as I'm in the process of finishing it off so the members can get it about the 15th March for the river anglers to read in the "Close"
Alas no review as I blanked, not a fishy nod on the rod on the clear low Trent.
Still, my first time out  on a river since mid-September, so it was good to be out in the fresh air.
We have to be off by dusk, and I was the last one off at about 5:45 for the hour drive home and quiz night in the White Hart.
I had to go past the usual 4 pints,(arm firmly up my back) because Mick the landlord had put two more on as 3 of the 4 real ales he  had on offer had finished! 
Only got the one in though, the missus had had her fill of G&T's!!
I may pop in tomorrow lunch time to see what I missed!!
As Barbel Fisher has to be at the printers on 1st March, there's still a chance to bait test, so I think, now I've got the bug back, a day or two on the tidal calls early next week.
I'll leave the weekend to the workers!


Should have gone


Had a day at the Ricoh arena Coventry at the last weekend Carp and Coarse Fishing Show.
 I "volunteered" to help run a table for the Saturday for the Barbel Society with Rich Frampton. 
Our friends at Free Spirit had space to spare and you can't turn down freebies,can you, even with short notice!
Anyway I had been booked to do that specific day on the Itchen, but the journey of  9 hours there and back especially in my then fishing frame of mind of a fortnight ago, it took second place.
Back to the show, we took the opportunity to give an early push to this years Barbel Show and there were plenty of willing takers of the leaflets when John Wilson was mentioned as the main speaker.
We were very busy for the period up to about lunchtime in the afternoon it tailed off. Much the same on Sunday I'm told.
Not certain that shows offered free of charge to the punters really attract the individual the organisers are looking for, or it could be that folk just don't have the money!


Silly Season


I see even with a fortnight to go the usual forum stuff about the "Close Season" are up and running, never mind I think I've said enough over the years so I'll duck out of this seasons

No comments:

Post a Comment