Thursday 24 May 2012

Tits

Sadly!


Something wasn't right at 6am this morning around the nest box, it was all quiet, no sign of the parent birds, so I thought bugger we've missed them this year.

I had a venture down the garden for a listen at the box and two agitated parents turned up, they appeared to be looking around, so I assumed the youngsters must be about. No sign though and the nest box was quiet.

Regular readers will know that I looked into the box a good while back and found 8 eggs in situ. Went to France nearly a fortnight ago with plenty of feeding activity which was continuing noisily all this week.

The parents have gone now so I've opened the box, only to find just one fully fledged chick...dead!

Judging by the antics of the parent birds, they either have the other youngsters well hidden and were awaiting the last one, or,  and sadly I think this is the case, the dead bird is probably the only one that survived the original clutch.
They wouldn't tell me when I asked them !




No comments:

Post a Comment