Saturday 15 December 2012

Something with content

Fishing

The frost and snow has gone, the river should now be within it's banks, but it's the weekend so I'll let it settle a bit, let the workers have the weekend and it's blowing a hoolie out there.
Perhaps a trip down to the upper Witham with some worms, bread and a chunk of Stilton early in the next week.
I understand there is a very big chub looking for a new home after a butchers job was carried out to some bank side willow by the anti flood boys of the EA.
The appeal of the small river is calling after some long absence.

I've heard a whisper of some robbing of a fishery on a big river from a well respected club(not the BS) by some younger upstarts.Something that I may make a few points about when I find out for certain who they are.
Shades of Adams Mill occurring ?


Finance

I told you a while ago that I was dabbling in the AiM market with some penny shares, I won't give too much away but I'm having a little success. Not gambling a great deal, because gambling is what it is, but the potential is there to make a decent profit for the pension fund.
So I'll give you a case in point with one of my 5 investments.
On the 9th October I bought 50,000 shares in a cancer research company at 0.144p each, at the cost of £720. They are currently worth, on paper around £950 (32%).
But one of the pitfalls of the AiM market is that there are lot of get rich quick merchants investing for the short term.
This particular company have been on the verge of a major deal with a big pharmaceutical company for some time with the development of a cancer fighting compound.
The MD advised share holders some months ago that a major deal would be done by the end of this month.
Come the AGM last week he advised that whilst they hoped to have the deal completed by the end of the financial year 31st December, it was no longer certain but, the MD is very confident it will still happen in just a few days, perhaps later in January.
So for one mad day there was a big bale out by the short termers and the shares lost what was effectively 40% of their value.
I topped up substantially and the shares recovered next day, but it's not for the faint hearted, a very volatile game.
My original 50000 shares have potential, maybe even this coming week, to be worth over £2000 if the chatter is anything to go by.
I'm in for the long term though, as the company shows to have great potential for growth, but a bit of profit taking for further dabbling elsewhere may be taken.
I'll let you know if my faith in the company is proved wrong.

Christmas

Having just this week on Tuesday got through the anniversary of my Mum's death last year, without anything other than some great thoughts about the past and her, our mind turns to the Christmas break.
With no kids we "celebrate", as I've probably said before,  much the same way as any other weekend. Except we do what everybody else does, eat a lot and get slowly pissed!
This year though we have learned that out neighbour Jim, has decided that he is not fit enough to make the drive over to his relatives in Manchester, and they don't appear to be coming over to him for the break, or to take him over to them, so we've invited him to have Christmas day with us.
He had better like goose, or it's ham and spuds for him!
For all you readers that do celebrate with your family, I'll take this opportunity to wish you all the very best for Christmas now, as we won't be sending cards.

2 comments:

  1. "Its nowt like Adams Fred, they let the tender and the current occupiers didnt win, simple"
    From ***.
    I wonder why I guessed you would be the one to react. Fell in again!!
    It's exactly like Adams Mill, that's what happened there too, except the existing club had to do something which ended up pricing out it's own membership.
    The club on this occasion was assured it wouldn't be down to money, but "long term experience of fishery management would be taken into account"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same has what has happened with Ashfield Angling club, gaining most of Notts Feds old stretches on the Trent, A lot of the "old" under handed business deals went on there.

    ReplyDelete