Thursday 19 June 2014

Trying something new

Had a thought!

Following on from Tuesday nights session and catching the eel, I thought I may have another angle to try, so I contacted my mate Baz Fisher for some advice, as he has become a bit of an eel fanatic lately.
So I kitted myself out for a sleeper rod approach to see what I may find in the first lake and to carry on float fishing..
the view of lake one from the top

My first cast was into the channel area below that tree on the right in the picture above, I sat on the left.
I had set up my 1.75 Fox barbel rod my Shimano 4000, with a size 7 barbless ESP G4 Raptor, a very light running lead and about a foot of Kryston super Mantis at 15bs, on 4lb Maxima. 
So, not quite fully armed for the job!
It got immediate attention to my three lobworm baited hook, which I put do
wn to the rudd population fiddling with the worms. 
Leaving the rod on the pod with the balearm off, I put myself a dough bobbing on the ground which needed a foot or so of a run before it hit the rod.   
Then set about putting the float rod into action in front of me.Once again this put me into the small roach and rudd population, but not for long as I saw the bobbing scoot across the ground and hit the first ring of the rod.
Remembering to put the balearm across before striking, I knew immediately that I was into an eel by the fighting action, felt quite good too. 
Heavily out gunned, it didn't take me long to net the eel.

I thought I would let the fish calm down and get it weighed, just to get an idea of size, but as you can see from my photo, and I hadn't noticed, the hook had come out. The eel made it's escape!
I baited up again and put my float rod to one side,  caught a small roach, a perch of about a pound and hooked one more eel that dropped off at the net, smaller but very brown colour, compared to the silver of my first fish.
I think I may have learned at least two things from this first attempt, there are eels in the lake and perhaps a barbed hook is necessary for eel fishing?
Next time I shall be more prepared.


No comments:

Post a Comment