Tuesday 17 June 2014

Ah, that's a bit better


I often wonder if.....
.....people are that interested in what at times becomes a daily blog,or a diary?
Whatever, I'll stick to doing it as it comes,so to speak!
The rivers at this time of year have never really appealed to me, unless I'm invited out, or when I went through the phase where barbel were the only fish for a while.
So this year I've decided that still water probably means more to me,  my fishing roots in Essex didn't really encourage me to fish the rivers.
So practicing on the small waters down in the valley will no doubt assist when I move on to some of the other fisheries available to fish in this area, plus one or two invites I have had recently to fish further afield.
Anyway, I decided to go down again and to go to the first lake, there are carp in there but not in the numbers that disturb a good days tiddler snatching!
So I decided to fish with sweetcorn over a few grains of hemp each cast, it worked for a while with a few roach and rudd, but no sign of the crucian (or the carp).
Switching to worm was quite quiet but I did catch one crucian and a couple of small roach and rudd.
Switching again this time to some small prawn, which are just a tad close to being past it, and immediately started to catch crucian, all under the rod tip in about four foot of water.
I suppose I had a dozen or so up to a pound and thought, should I say hoped, that perhaps mum and dad would be about.
It was not to be, and as darkness began to set in I had three carp on the trot, not bigguns, but I didn't mind so much today because they hadn't interfered earlier in the evening when my bait testing was on the go.




 A couple more crucian and a small tench, to round off the evening which was somewhat disturbed by my final fish, an eel of probably a pound, which found a hole in my landing net and  went through up to my float, do you think I could unhook it ?
Nope, so I snipped the line by it's lips and let it live another day, thinking I bet Pauline asks me why I didn't bring it home.....and she did!
So next time I'm down, I'll go back to the second  lake again and try the prawn approach there, who knows mum and dad may be in there?


No comments:

Post a Comment