Sunday 30 March 2014

Celebrations

Taking the high road

24th March 1949 at 6am I came into this world at Hammersmith hospital, the first born to Fred & Kath Boney.

65 years later and I'm still celebrating my fortunate life, this time I'm sharing my time with the Scots, although I do think they will need my money more, if they do the daft thing of voting in going their separate ways in the not too distant future.
Anyway, some short while ago, after two recent trips to the beautiful country, I booked three nights at The Old Inn Gairloch in Wester Ross,with an overnight stop in Glasgow on the 22nd on the way up, and an overnighter on the 27th in Edinburgh.
We would have stayed longer, but I've organised bed and breakfast for a few of my International Drinking Society buddies to come over on Friday for lunch and  a jar or two in my local.


Loch Maree on the road to Loch Garloch


Loch Maree a few hours later on our way back


Glasgow and Edinburgh lived up to expectations, but do deserve more than an overnight stay,so penciled in for the future.
The Old Inn however was a bit of a disappointment, looking at it's website it has all sorts of awards and recommendations for it's seafood, but it was particularly lacking in that department,. 
Well it had cod and haddock, but I could go to the chippy for that!
I filed a report to them, but a specials menu that had the same choice over the 3 days we were there. There was a pub menu which we tried, but the food was poor by comparison, cooking wise, to most pub menus we've tried.
Still, the bed and breakfast and the staff were great, let down by a management able to organise even the simple stuff out of season.
We had dinner in the harbour on the second day in a small family "cafe" Na Mara ( the sea) which was really very good, the seafood was plentiful!
.na mara restaurant

We drove the 50 odd miles to Inverness on Wednesday and found a small Italian restaurant  Little Italy on the third day which was also excellent for lunch.Little Italy Inverness

Back Home

Friday, came with my friends arriving within the lunchtime opening period allowing for 4 pints each in the White Hart, before wandering back to my place, for a Fred special of spaghetti bolognaise and a few glasses of wine.
Back at 6o'clock for more beer and wine....and food, until about 11pm
A surprise present was sprung on me in the pub which was much admired throughout. 
I didn't cut it, but I suppose I shall have to soon. It am told it was modeled on a carp, but it looks like one of those Thai fish.
 It'll go to the pub on Thursday's quiz night, for a filleting, and a bit of portion control !







Happy birthday Al.

Today is our  village friend Al Greethurst's 89th birthday. 
Al was a Lancaster and Vulcan bomber navigator in his younger days.
We've heard many a tale of his exploits over the years (some many times) we've been in the village, but particularly about the 101 squadron which was based in our village during and after the War.
So a few pints over lunchtime and more tales were enjoyed.

I've drunk a lot, probably too much, this last week!!


Ends today 

The Jodi & Ella Memorial Auction 

Get bidding please  UPDATE £8066.07 raised!!

http://www.32auctions.com/organizations/12577/auctions/13854?reset_filter=1



Spawning Survey

The Barbel Society are continuing with the spawning survey for 2014. 
The data already gathered from this project has been absolutely brilliant. 
The trends show most are spawning in April and May, quite often on the same dates at sites up and down the country with second smaller spawning periods later on if the conditions allow.
The more sites we can identify the easier it will become to protect the grounds and fish. 
From a personal viewpoint and based on this evidence, I can see no reason to amend the Close Season dates!



No comments:

Post a Comment