Tuesday 13 November 2012

Fillet less!!

Zander

Well, as I said I would I had my first attempt at the zander this afternoon on the tidal Trent at Sutton, a Barbel Society water.
From and too where? I've not worked out!!

Must check my line capacity..... before using the c/p

The only tree!!
Arrived just in time to see the tide turn, which was more by luck than judgement, and set myself up just downstream of the big right angled bend, in the hope that the smaller (bait) fish would congregate just off the current.
Two rods, one for the zander with a deadbait roach and mashed sprats in the open end feeder. The other I used for a variation of baits fished downstream, for whatever may come along.
So I sat back, and for the first time again, tuned into the radio, there's one on my "emergency" mobile. I say emergency, because mobiles are something I have steered clear of since they became the in thing to have.
I thought back then they were an intrusion even in my job, and have had no change of mind being proved right.
With mine I tell the boss indoors when I've arrived and when I'm on my way home.
So the cheap pay and go is for emergency only, the FM radio is a bonus.
It's no good at home, the signal up on the Wolds is ..........intermittent!
I tuned into Radio 4, not my usual choice, and found that time goes that much faster when your blanking. Listened to Paul Weller talking about the Jam's last  and 6th LP, some interesting information about Flag Fen near Peterborough and chat about the final series of Time Team. Far more interesting than that prat SteveWright on 2!
There were hardly any birds to watch, just the call of the rooks and the gulls, the occasional view of a cormorant, and a whistling flock of duck,too far away to identify by sight.
Anyway, I fished from just before 2pm until about 6pm, with not a touch on either rod, well I did have one big pull on the second rod, just into the dark maybe a chub or possibly a bat!!
There were, and it surprised me, some big bats about in the dusk.
No signs of fish at all, no dimpling at dusk no big splashes or rolls....nothing!
Prior to that the only disturbance, apart from the constant drone of the A1 over my shoulder, was from three dogs.
One that appeared beside me and wanted to have it's belly rubbed, no sign or sound of the owner, another one that looked at me and wandered off, the last one, for which the owner apologised for disturbing me, stood just out of range and barked at me, went away and came back for another bark. I think I surprised it, by just being there!!
The lack of any movement fish wise, persuaded me to pack up early, I had one of those feelings you sometimes get that nothing was going to happen. Fell arse over tit going to the car on the slippery slope from the gravel shore, fortunately I had left the rods for a return, so no harm done, and nobody saw me so no embarrassed blushes.
I do like it down there, even though it's wilderness of a place, so if it's not too Arctic like over the next few months I can see myself going down there pretty regularly.

Farmer George

I didn't get my usual glimpse of the owner of the ponds in the valley, when I collected my deadbait last week, and over the weekend I found out why! The local White Hart grapevine told me that he was in hospital " with that disease you can get from rats" Weil's  disease I say, "err is that from rats" Weil's-Disease
I tell you what, I made sure I had and used the hand cleaner today!

After thought

One day, in line at the works cafeteria, Jack says to Mike behind him, 'My elbow hurts like hell. I suppose I'd better see a doctor!'
Listen mate ; don't waste your time down at the surgery, Mike replies.
There's a diagnostic computer at Tesco. Just give it a urine sample
and the computer will tell you what's wrong, and what to do about it.
It takes ten seconds and only costs 
five quid....a lot quicker and

better than a doctor and you get Clubcard points'.
So Jack collects a urine sample in a small jar and takes it to Tesco.
He deposits five pounds and the computer lights up and asks for the urine sample. He pours the sample into the slot and waits.

Ten seconds later, the computer ejects a printout:
'You have tennis elbow. Soak your arm in warm water and avoid heavy activity. It will improve in two weeks'.

That evening while thinking how amazing this new technology was, Jack began wondering if the computer could be fooled.He mixed some tap water, a stool sample from his dog, urine samples from his wifeand daughter, and 'pleasured himself' into the mixture for good measure. Jack hurried back to Tesco, eager to check what would happen.
He deposits five pounds, pours in his concoction, and awaits the results with a grin. The computer prints the following:

1) Your tap water is too hard. Get a water softener.

2) Your dog has ringworm. Bathe him with anti -fungal shampoo.

3) Your daughter has a cocaine habit. Get her into rehab.

4) Your wife is pregnant. Twins. They aren't yours. Get a lawyer.

5) And if you don't stop playing with yourself, your elbow will never get better....

Thank you for shopping at Tesco

No comments:

Post a Comment