Saturday 13 October 2012

Mine's a pint!

IDS

Ye Olde Mitre Tavern was the meeting place for the International Drinking Society, a tiny pub tucked away in a passage off Hatton Garden, serving Fullers beers.Ye Olde Mitre Tavern in London
For the first time in quite a while we all turned up about the same time, at just before noon and were quickly into the London Pride.
For such a small pub, the staffing levels behind the bar seemed very large, and for a Friday lunchtime no doubt they expected more punters, but as it turned out it was quiet, so quiet the staff were almost fighting each other to serve us, on the first occasion I was asked 3 times what I wanted and I was already being served!
We didn't eat there as it seemed that whilst they listed themselves as a pie pub, that was about it, nothing added to the plate, just a pie and/or a sausage....... snacky!
At about 2o'clock we decided to relocate, primarily for food, as we were just about in need of stodge.
Having chatted to a couple of fellas on my way back from the "outside" loo for a pub still likely to be serving food, the indication was that we would find good food all afternoon "just around the corner".
We found it alright, the trouble is I can't remember it's name, I can say though they did an "award winning pie" and I had one with some mash and veg, it was very good.
After that, and a few more pints, we went our separate ways, Ivan and I arriving at his Woodford Green house where we promptly fell asleep in front of the television watching a game of Heineken Cup rugby on Sky Sports.
Anyway, I having been set a task to find a location for our Christmas meet in early December, I had a good local cafe early morning fry up,and headed off for my 3 hour drive home up the M11, arriving home just in time for the White Hart to open at noon and a hair of the dog........ or four.
I then managed to rustle up a paella without cutting any fingers off, but adding just a tad more chilli than needed,still good though, even though I say so myself!
I then fell asleep listening to Dermott O'Leary on Radio2....just woke up!

No comments:

Post a Comment