Wednesday 5 September 2012

Had enough?

This may be the last time!

Back again tonight to lake one, to give it one more go to see if there was anything of any size.
Decided to stick to bread flake and feed with hempseed, and to fish under the rod top.
This was in the hope that I would see if there were bigger roach and rudd present, maybe for one last time.
As it happens there weren't at least not for me, they were about the same stamp. But, at around the last hour into darkness I started getting the finicky bites, I type I always associate with the crucian carp,and that is what they were. I had about a dozen out on the trot, they were obviously keeping the silvers away.
Not very big, cracking little fish with  a nice twisting turning tussle.




On my way into the fishery I travel some distance down the estate lane and today I identified the source of the bird calls that I first thought were quail. As I drove down I came upon the farmer and his tractor, so as you will see it's a narrow lane, I pulled over into the first available clearing and spotted the noisy beasties around a feeder, they are guinea fowl. I knew I had heard the calls before,because we saw flocks and flocks of them in South Africa. Another little matter solved!


The lane

Ah, it's them!

Anyway, I digress slightly, as darkness fell and the last cast syndrome kicked in, I had two casts and took two commons on the flake, both around the 6lb mark.
It made me start thinking of the reasons why I continue to go down to these lakes and if I will continue.After all I'm pretty certain I know the secrets of the lakes...there aren't apparently any!
The main reasons I suppose I go down to the lakes regularly is they are quiet for  few hours into darkness, I have no problem with my own company so that suits me.
Then there is no 'phone signal, not a real problem now I've given up my BS work(almost), and finally it has just been fun catching fish almost to choice.
I know if I want carp up to 10lb I can concentrate on them, I can tiddler bash to my hearts content, and the crucian are there for the taking on flake.
There is that marauding fish that sits below the overhang of the bushes on the island though, every so often it aggressively takes an insect or bug off the surface.  A fly rod would probably help, only I need to get me one!
I may have a crack at that.
The rivers are calling, I'm on the Trent early next week, so we shall see how things go.

No comments:

Post a Comment