Friday 24 August 2012

Still here

I should be in Greenwich

Well our "mate" Brian, it was his 67 years birthday bash celebration today, but on Thursday afternoon he cancelled our third of the year drink meet of the International Drinking Society.
"I have to work"
He's a stocktaker and his boss has had to go away for a family emergency in the Ukraine so he's in charge.

I have to say we were quite happy as none of us really fancied a trek to Greenwich, so we decided not to travel down to celebrate without him.
We always choose our own location, pub and eatery on these days out.
It's unlikely because of commitments we will be able to rearrange, but the next, Dave's do, will be early October almost certainly in Petersfield.


Back on lake two

 It was obvious as I approached the second lake that although part of the wheat field was being harvested,  the graylag geese were at home, there must be well over a hundred of them spread around the banks of the lake.
I rarely see them in the water until they fly back in from their grazing at about 8pm.
The banks are covered in their crap and it was particularly noticeable at the top end, the western bank, which was my chosen spot for the day.This is a barren spot with no marginal weed but as it turned out just a tad deeper at around 5feet.
I decided to go down a bit earlier so arrived at around 3o'clock.
Once again on arrival, I noticed  I had left something on the garage worktop, my defosted hempseed!
Bugger, shall I go home and pick it up, or use some feeder hali pellets. Decided on the pellets, which may have been a mistake as they appeared to become, during the day, the only thing the fish would take.

Anyway I took along my Shimano 14 footer and my Shimano 1000 and decided to  float fish, with flake and the hookers.
Although there was activity on the bottom, I couldn't buy a bite until the odd individual bubble started to rise to the surface, the bream had moved in but were only interested in the pellets and the odd piece of flake.

In the meantime, and my camera wasn't ready, a combine harvester approached and I had a flight of geese take off from the bank to my left, right over my head at least 50 of them. It would have made a great shot, but a my batteries gave up the ghost!!!

So for 5 plus hours I sat it out, hit about a dozen bream all in cracking good bronze order and about a pound apiece, all unhooked in the net, I really am not a fan of snotties! Oh and one carp about 6lb.
The geese never came back, the combine was doing the circuit of this massive field getting in as much grain as possible as the intermittent rain showers came and went.

I'll give two another go at least later next week the north bank is a bit more attractive and seems to have abit more gravel in the soil, so maybe the hempseed will find me some roach?
My landing net had an overnight in the garden!

Tuesday will mean a day on the Trent, with Rob Hilton as we relax a bit. That's always assuming Rob get's back ok from the Leeds match and the CAMRA beer festival in Peterborough over the weekend.
With a good part of the first of the membership years Barbel Fisher edited, done and dusted, ready for it's mid September issue, time to breath a bit whilst we gather our last minute loose ends, and await an important bit of BS information still to be confirmed.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment