Thursday 16 August 2012

Peace, noise,harvesters and nibblers!

Quiet tonight!

I left the house at 5pm this evening for another few hours down the second lake in the valley.
Arriving lakeside it was noticeable that there was not a single water fowl to be seen, very quiet except for the constant cooing of the woodies. Not any real sign of fish either apart from the hundreds of tiny fish dimpling the surface.The wind was blowing a bit down the lake and there was rain in the air, then I remembered I'd left the bread on the work surface.
Ah well time to try out the Pallatrax paste and what was left of the Tiger hookers and perhaps the plastics.
Well, not a nibble! Tried everything not a touch.
It rained a bit, but not enough for me to dash back to the car for water proofing, blown on the wind and away pretty quickly.
Decided I wasn't going to give up, so kept on trying, it wasn't until about 8o'clock that I got my first fish, a carp  and very soon was into a couple more, all on the paste. By 8:45 I was thinking about when to call it a day, but sat listening for a while as a lone tawny owl made his way along the wood line behind, giving out his plaintive call but getting no response.
There was a church bell going all out in practice no doubt, somewhere in the near distance.
Then the geese started their noisy way back to the lake, firstly in small chattering groups of four or five then in larger numbers, I wonder where they had been? The mallards came wandering along the bank and out of the wheat field about the same time, so noise everywhere.
Anyway, it was now very difficult to see the float and I decided to call it a day at about 9pm.
The lake is about 2/3 miles from my house, along a back lane just about fit for two cars to pass.
As I approached the long straight I could see in the short distance a row of vehicles, lights flashing, it was a convoy of the harvesters finishing for the night. I needed to be in a position to let them pass, fortunately they waited for me at the right angled bend.
I of course gave them right of way and very shortly trundled on home,passing the White Hart and nearly dropping in, but I was good, I have to think of my health!
I was hoping for something different to come along from this lake, but it appears the carp in all shapes,colours and sizes are the main inhabitants, although activity close to the opposite bank gives me an idea that the may be a rogue trout in residence taking insects for most of the evening off the surface film, and occasionally scattering the fingerling's.
bottom half goldfish!!
Back to lake number one I think!


Home again time


Maybe is wasn't!

Needed to dig up all my onions and shallots the other day because most had been eaten down to the bulbs!!
Blamed the slugs and snails, but maybe it was something else!!


Lucky it was too small for a meal!!

No comments:

Post a Comment