Friday 30 September 2011

How?

Rest in peace Auntie Betty


I had a few things lined up for here, and just a couple of words for one or two of the usual suspects, but decided to have a lunchtime drink in the White Hart.

Arriving back after a quick few pints, I was quickly sobered up by a telephone message from my cousin Stephen. Not somebody I speak to on a regular basis, at best at weddings and funerals, so my thoughts were the worst.

I called him back, and he was at the Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages in Camden, and he had to tell me that his Mum, and my Aunt Betty, Mum's youngest sister at 84, had died suddenly this morning.

This on the eldest sister Maggies 91st birthday, and the need to tell Mum.

So I took the bull by the horns and called Mum.
At 62, this is the first time I have had to spread bad family tidings. My Dad's news was passed on by my youngest brother
It was hard, I have to say it appeared to affect me more than my mum, apart from saying "that's the start, everything comes in 3's in my family", she then went on to ask how my next door neighbour was, and me and Pauline.
She was sorry I had to tell her !
What can you say ?
I had to get off the'phone quick while I was still almost sensible.
Anyway a bit composed, I called my brother who is local to mum,to tell him the news. He'll be the watching eyes.
A short time later call from Maggies daughter Joyce, confirmed that the news was doing the rounds and as long as both mum's, the remaining sisters, had been advised at least they could talk to each other.
Betty on the left, Maggie & Mum

Down for a some fishing in Droitwich tomorrow, but can't make up my mind whether to head there or Harold Hill !
I'll wait and see.
Just another family get together to come!!

No comments:

Post a Comment