Saturday 30 April 2011

What about me?

Not a lot!


It's been a very busy couple of weeks or so for me, visits to mum, and in particular there's the summer issue of Barbel Fisher to put out, preparing for a committee meeting in Worcester next week, and also being involved with organising the annual Barbel Show on the 5th June.The things we do for love!!
Having been inundated with articles, I have a view I may have to save a couple at least, for the Winter issue.
It has also become more obvious, that many fishing related companies are not finding it too good at the moment, so trying to book advertising is a bit too much like hard work.
No matter what was said about Fish 'n' Tips it's tough out there!
Looking on the bright side, which I always do, this leaves more space for members articles. Although there is temptation to go down the sponsored article route, with all it's associated product placement, (have a look at this month's Coarse Angling Today letters page)
I can't see that ever happening,  after all, it would make Barbel Fisher just like all the rest.

Fishing


I've not had a chance to fish for a while, mind you as I get older, sitting into a cold north easterly wind, which we've had for the last few days, doesn't make fishing come high on my list of priorities, but it makes an easy excuse.
Anyway the close season on rivers gives all of us a chance to replenish our minds for the season to come.
After all you can have too much of a good thing...so I'm told.
My pb tench of 6lb13ozs 2001
I had never fished for tench until June 16th before the changes to the close season, so plenty to do for the next 6 weeks or so, without worrying myself like so many do, about what they get for their measly £27 donation to governments coffers!!
I do have trip to Clattercote lined up with the Fishing Magic crew on the 14th May to look forward to though.
A great day out with a good bunch.









Garden


Having demolished and disposed of all of the climbers damaged in the winter, I did leave the roots in place, let them rot I thought, too much like hard work digging them out...that age thing again!
Anyway, signs of life from two areas and a buddleja, sees the purse only being stretched by the beer wine and spirit stock replenishment at the moment.
 I do like the look at that dandelion remover thingy though, our gardens are inundated with them this year as are the roadside verges.They must like the cold!
Started my veggie plots with spuds in bags,courgettes, tomatoes and peppers. Pulled up the lettuces that survived the winter freeze, the pigeons had found them anyway, they will be replaced when the soil warms up just a tad more, and any chance of a frost has gone.

Bird life


The Chinese pheasant is once again a visitor to the garden, he obviously has dodged the shoot, and has a drab mate in tow.He's a big bird and may not survive until the next shoot!
Blackbird ,wood pigeon and collared dove are nesting in the hedge on the roadside of the house, and our great tits have returned to the same box as last year. Checked yesterday five or six eggs, I didn't hang about to get a true count just in case, and won't look again.
Swallows over the house on the 21st April and still around, although I've not seen the martins, or heard the cuckoo yet.

Football




What a season in the Premier league, not a great deal between any of the teams.
A few wobbly moments with Fulham, have been relieved by a couple of superb 3-0 wins, one of which, today's, was only the second away win this season.
Another year of edge of seat football for the supporters.
Fingers crossed for QPR, looks like one in and one out, still it'll mean Tottenham will have the Olympic Stadium to themselves.
Well done Roy Hodgson for rescuing WBA, he never stood a chance at the 'pool!

No comments:

Post a Comment