Saturday 24 July 2010

Getting back to the real world.

Not long to go

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
ViewItem&item=150468701152&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT



Our Domain

When I first started this Blog back in May, I told you about my garden, well last Friday the field got mowed. The cow parsley and nettles are now spread about the field, flat! So before long the smell of rotting vegetation will take over I'm sure. No sign yet of the barn owls, but I know the kestrel had six young.
A local farmer, just over the field puts up boxes for owls, kestrels,sparrow hawks and just about anything else that flies around here.
We spotted our first red kite in this area, over the field not too long ago, being mobbed by the local crows.
It's been a very bad year I think for young birds, only one or two survivors from broods in and around the garden.Well apart from the sparra's, they have done very well, a day doesn't seem to go by without another set of pleading youngsters loitering around our pond and feeders.
I was watching earlier a single robin fledgling being fed by it's red breasted parent, cracking little birds.
All our green finches have disappeared, I hope they are not all dead, but my suspicions are that they are. This disease they get from unclean feeders has taken it's toll again and they were doing so well.Bodies all around.
Veggies
I'm not impressed with the salad garden this year, far too dry I suppose. On the positive side our courgettes are becoming a problem to keep up with. Any good recipes out there????
I should  have a good supply of chilli peppers also.
Our fruit trees are not up to last years standard, especially the plum, maybe I'll get 4 or five, last year I couldn't get rid of them.
The pear has failed , but the apples are looking ok. The soft fruits..failed, well I got enough gooseberries, just about got the flavour!
Spud's are still looking good, although the container grown ones are in permanent need of water. I'll leave them in a bit longer as my diet forbids their consumption!
Itchy things
Not certain if you all suffer with bugs and flies this time of the year?
They are of the small beetle type, hoards of them,I daren't go out in the garden in my orange tee-shirt, thunder bugs we call them,I can't be bothered to identify them.
And those tiny flies that seem to get into every nook and cranny, even between the glass of picture frames. Still the hooligan  swifts, the house martin and swallows seem to be happy enough.
My head can't take much more scratching though! Even thinking about them now, is making me itch.

Oh well, enough for now, things to do tomorrow and the next few days, so my next entry and update will probably be mid-week.
Who knows what may happen in that time?
See you then maybe?


Carpe diem quam minime credula postero

No comments:

Post a Comment